04 June 2013

International Football Friendly Hong Kong 0:1 Phillippines

Hong Kong and Philippines met up for an international friendly on Tuesday evening in the Mong Kok Stadium. Rain and thunder did little to deter the home team and the home crowd. But it was the visitors who came out on top as the courageous Hong Kong team fell short against a spirited Philippines side, dropping the game by 0-1.

Philippines came close to open the score on the 18th minute, when Stephen Schrock’s bouncing shot seemed to have hand-cuffed Hong Kong goalkeeper Yapp Hung-fai. Fortunately for the home side, Yapp managed to push the ball aside to safety.

Hong Kong generated a splendid chance on the 24th minute when Cheung Kin-fung’s lovely cross was met by Jaimes Mckee at the far-post. The local striker nodded the ball towards goal from close-range but could not believe it when he just missed the target.

The home side came tantalizingly close to getting on the scoreboard. On the 29th minute, full-back Cheung Kin-fung whipped in another dangerous into the Philippines box. Star striker Chan Siu-ki timed his jump perfectly but headed a bouncing ball that just went over the cross-bar. Hong Kong was starting to gather some much-needed momentum.

Philippines netted the first goal of the game on the 33rd minute when Stephen Schrock delivered a dangerous cross into the Hong Kong penalty area. A Hong Kong defender managed to deflect the ball into the air, only for James Younghusband to capitalize by heading the ball into the Hong Kong goal, putting the visitors in front.

Hong Kong desperately tried to draw level and had a great chance to do so on the 38th minute when Cheung Kin-fung’s teasing corner-kick was headed just wide by captain Chan Wai-ho. The patriotic crowd was ferociously cheering on the home side.

Hong Kong wasted little time in the 2nd half to signal its intention. Shortly after the game resumed, Chan Siu-ki’s delicate squeeze-pass picked out a surging Jaimes Mckee. Unfortunately, the pacy striker failed to hit the target in a very tight angle.

On the 49th minute, Hong Kong’s Chan Siu-ki received a nice, short pass from teammate Cheung Kin-fung before curling a shot towards the Philippines goal. Unfortunately for the home supporters, Chan’s shot was deflected off for a corner.

Philippines almost doubled their lead on the 63rd minute when Philip Younghusband intercepted a pass from a Hong Kong defender, before picking out Stephen Schrock with a superb pass. Schrock attempted a cheeky chip-shot but the ball just dropped inches above the cross-bar.

Hong Kong had a wonderful chance to equalize on the 67th minute when Chan Siu-ki was brought down by a Filipino defender inside the box. Chan dusted himself up and stepped up to take the spot-kick. Unfortunately, the striker’s penalty-shot was heroically saved by Philippines keeper Neil Etheridge. The visitors were still leading 0-1.

Philippines failed to expand their lead on the 79th minute when the ball dropped for Juan Guirado inside the Hong Kong penalty area. The Filipino player attempted an acrobatic bicycle-kick but failed to hit the target with his effort.

Hong Kong had a great chance to tie the game on the 83rd minute when Chan Man-fai’s corner-kick was headed towards the Philippines goal by Lee Hong-lim. The ball was sailing towards the back of the net until Philippines keeper Mike Etheridge pulled off a miraculous save to prevent the ball from crossing the goal-line.

Lee Hong-lim excited the home crowd late in the game when he sprung loose down the flank before delivering a fantastic cross into the Philippines box. Teammate Chan Man-fai seized the opportunity and headed the ball towards goal, only to witness his header gliding wide off the goal.

Chan Siu-ki and Kwok Kin-pong both had glorious opportunity to tie the game for Hong Kong in stoppage time. Unfortunately, both attempts were brilliantly denied by the remarkable goalkeeping by Philippines custodian Neil Etheridge.

The score stood still for the rest of the game, as Hong Kong suffered a heart-breaking loss against Philippines by the score of 0-1. 

source : Hong Kong FA website

No comments:

Post a Comment