21 May 2012

Azkals' Etheridge frustrated over AFC ban

By Edward Lao, ABS-CBN News Europe Bureau
MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine Azkals' first choice goalkeeper Neil Etheridge will miss the team's upcoming friendly against Malaysia this June 1 in Kuala Lumpur due to a ban handed down by the Asian Football Confederation (AFC).
Etheridge was given a one-match ban and a $3,000 fine by the AFC following the Azkals' match against Palestine last March in the AFC Challenge Cup.
Etheridge was not playing in that match, as he was serving a one-match suspension after getting booked for a red card in their semi-final game against Tajikistan.
Eduard Sacapano served as the Azkals' goal-keeper in the third place match, which they won 4-3 to wind up third in the tournament. It was the Azkals' best ever finish in the biennial competition.
While watching the match at the stands, Etheridge was adjudged to have behaved in an unsporting manner.
"The decisions, to be honest, were going against us and I felt they had been for the majority of the competition," Etheridge said."Being as passionate as I am, I said a few things in the stadium and a few comments were heard by the 4th official."
"He wasn't very happy about the comments and of course, he asked me to be quiet. I didn't argue with him, but 20 minutes into the game, you forget about that conversation and you're still shouting and being passionate about the Azkals winning, which I was," he added.
"They didn't like how I reacted."
Etheridge admitted that he cursed while watching the match, but insisted it was not aimed at anyone in particular.
"It wasn't directed to any individual at all. I just wanted the best for the national team, and I wanted us to get the third place, which we did in the end," he said.
After the Azkals beat Palestine, Etheridge ran to the pitch to celebrate, despite his suspension. He now realizes that he should not have done that, but pointed out inaccuracies in the AFC’s statement issued to him.
"The statement was that I refused to come off the pitch, which, if you were there, I went off the pitch straight away and walked straight to the coach, or the bus, and they said I went straight to the changing rooms," Etheridge said.
"So there was a bit of confusion."
Despite this, Etheridge said he has accepted his punishment and will not appeal the suspension, though he admits to feeling a slight injustice.
"In all honesty, I think yes, I was hard done by. It's not about the money. It's the one-game ban for me because I love playing football. I love playing for the Azkals, the national team, wearing the Filipino flag on my shirt," he said.
"So for me, it's frustrating, watching the game from a studio instead of playing it myself. But at the same time, I understand why the AFC have done this. Whether it was to prove a point or for people to say, it doesn't matter where you come from, or where you're playing, we're going to do the same for everyone," Etheridge added.
The Azkals will also be without Phil and James Younghusband in the game against Malaysia, as the brothers had previous commitments they could not back out of.
Etheridge will be working as the guest match analyst during the match coverage for ABS-CBN Sports.
Etheridge and the Younghusband brothers will be available for the Azkals in their friendly against Indonesia on June 6 at the Rizal Memorial Stadium and against Guam on June 12 at the Panaad Stadium in Bacolod.

No comments:

Post a Comment