25 August 2011

Alaba: Music motivates me

In many ways, the life of a diamond is very similar to that of a modern footballer. Once discovered, the raw stone is polished to increase its aesthetic and commercial value, rather like the many aspiring youngsters across the globe, a handful of whom are spotted by scouts and eventually moulded into professionals. Austria's record caps holder Andreas Herzog recently identified one such jewel in 19-year-old David Alaba: "He's a real gem, a god-send, the most talented young Austrian player of them all!"

In an exclusive interview with FIFA.com, the Bayern Munich youth graduate revealed his pride at receiving such high praise, but also insisted his development is far from complete. "My family and friends support me and help keep my feet on the ground," said the left-footer. "Of course it's nice to receive such a compliment from Andreas Herzog, but I'm a long way off being a jewel. I can still learn a lot and I have to keep on improving."

Alaba's modesty is no coincidence. Brought up by his Filipino mother and Nigerian father in Vienna, he has first-hand experience of the hardship his parents went through prior to their emigration to Europe. "I've been to the Philippines twice and also to my father's homeland," said the midfielder. "The difference between Nigeria and my life in Austria and Germany is notorious. It was only when I visited these places that I realised how good I've got it. I'm very thankful."

More FIFA.com

2 comments:

  1. di naman pinoy yan eh pero gustong gusto niyo. asa pa kayo. tska ung mga azkals, rejects lang ng mga bansa nila. kung magaling talaga sila, di sila maglalaro sa azkals. oi wag pikon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let us take Alaba out of our dreams dahil he chooses to play in Austria National Football Team period.
    Tama na , hanap nlng tayo ng iba na gustong maglaro sa ating bansa

    ReplyDelete