18 October 2014

Transfer news: Former Fulham keeper Neil Etheridge keen to find new club

Former Fulham goalkeeper Neil Etheridge admits he is hoping to fix himself up with a new club as soon as possible.


Etheridge is a free agent after leaving Fulham this summer following eight years at Craven Cottage.
There has been no shortage of interest in the 24-year-old, but Etheridge has been frustrated after seeing several options come to nothing.
However, the former Chelsea youngster is determined to bounce back from the setbacks and kick-start his career.
“I spent the last two weeks training at Wolves and thought I had done enough to earn myself a chance, but in the end it wasn’t to be," said Etheridge . "But that’s football and you just have to pick yourself up and get on with it.
“Football can have a habit of kicking you when you’re down and I suppose I’ve been very fortunate in my career up to now. I think what makes you as a professional is how you react to the challenges that football presents. 
"I had been at Fulham since I was 17 and so it was always going to be hard leaving, but the manner in which so many of us were released was a bitter pill to swallow."
Having been offered a contract at Championship side Charlton in the summer, Etheridge was given the dilemma of a trial with Premier League side Queens Park Rangers only for nothing to come from the trial at Loftus Road.
“It was tough because I feel a close affinity to Charlton - It was the first club I was ever loaned to and I know a lot of the people there, so it was a great place to be training and playing," added Etheridge.
"But I also have confidence in my ability to play in a Premier League set-up. So when I was offered a trial at QPR, I seized it. 
“I knew they were changing their line-up of keepers and I had the belief that I could earn a contract. 
"I felt that I had done my best, but I’ve discovered that sometimes it doesn't matter what you do. 

"Other situations can conspire against you in the window - transfers fall through, players get injured, plans get changed. But that’s why football is such a tough career.” 

5 comments:

  1. How about signing for global??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol or sign for Payatas FC. He will be number 1 for sure

      Delete
  2. Your attitude outside the pitch is considered by clubs. Since you were sour graping about your non-inclusion in the Azkals roster, for sure club officials will deem you unfit in their organization. They want professionals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed..
      He think too highly of himself..

      Delete
    2. Could be a good lesson for Neil to learn how to pick himself up instead of expecting a spot like he did with the NT. Maybe NE should have gone with the lower league first and build himself up. I mean yes he was with a PL team in Fulham, but I think only because he was still very young then and the team had hopes of him developing. But clearly they've seen nothing from him anymore. Plus if he had signed with the Rangers I think he'll just be sitting on the bench for most of that stint. Idk, he should have taken Championship side Charlton for him to get playing time. If he does well then surely PL teams will take notice.

      As for the NT, I think Roland has really surpassed NE.

      Delete