19 November 2010

PFF 'mystery man' breaks silence

By Joaquin Henson

MANILA, Philippines - The man accused of absconding with Philippine Football Federation (PFF) funds came out the other day to tell his story and relate how he was hoodwinked into coughing up his own money for the sake of a friend.

PFF president Jose Mari Martinez earlier said businessman Henry Tsai was accountable for about P2.8 million of missing funds in the national sports association and promised to put him in jail. But even as Martinez charged Tsai with malversation, he offered to cover the missing amount through the sale of a property in Tagaytay and a Toyota Fortuner.

Tsai, however, said Martinez has no leg to stand on because the Tagaytay property is encumbered and the Toyota Fortuner is not his to sell. In retaliation, Tsai assailed Martinez for his excesses as PFF president and helping himself to commissions which should have gone to PFF coffers.

Last Nov. 9, Tsai filed a case against Martinez and PFF treasurer Antonio Marty for estafa in Pasig on the basis of issuing an unfunded check for P302,680. He claimed the PFF owes him about P1.5 million and Martinez, some P2 million.

“I never thought Mari would do this to me,” said Tsai who was introduced to Martinez when they were involved in the shipping business over 20 years ago. “Late last year, he asked me to advance some money for the PFF because they ran out of funds. I was to be paid back as soon as the FIFA subsidy came in. I lent the PFF P3 million without interest. I’m not a football guy but Mari appointed me executive vice president and invited me to use the ground floor of the PFF building at P40,000 a month for a football store.”

Tsai said he went to Taiwan to buy football training equipment to sell in the store and invested over P500,000 in the venture.

“I lent the PFF money in good faith without even getting a promissory note,” said Tsai. “They paid me back my P3 million then last July, they borrowed another P1.5 million. This time, they didn’t pay me back. I also lent Mari about P2 million for his personal expenses. Twice, I paid for his hospital bills in Medical City. I also gave him money for his daughter’s treatment and expenses for his two grandchildren. I couldn’t say no to Mari because he’s a sweet talker. I made a mistake in trusting him.”

Tsai said he eventually realized Martinez was mismanaging the PFF. “He’s good at juggling funds,” he went on. “When Mari couldn’t refuse a friend who lost money in a bank deal on account of his introduction to another friend, he lent him P1.4 million of PFF money without Board approval and never got it back. I understand Mari got a P20,000 commission for lending the PFF money. The security he got was in form of titles for a Tagaytay property but they’re encumbered.”

Tsai said Martinez claims to own a Toyota Fortuner but has no papers to prove it. “When I was in the market for a Fortuner, Mari found out and asked if I could put the car in his name to build up his credit rating,” said Tsai. “I agreed on condition he signed a deed of sale to me on a back-to-back basis which he did. Now, Mari claims the car is his but he signed a deed of sale.” Tsai said he lent Martinez his Nissan Cefiro about seven months ago and wants it back.

Tsai said he paid for his space in the PFF building for three months then held back when the PFF owed him money. “I’ll pay for the space but the PFF should pay me what it owes me,” he said. “I’m willing to run the store but Mari has to go. The PFF is better off without him. He lent out PFF money without authority and now the money is gone.”

Tsai said Martinez is accountable for several poor decisions that compromised the PFF.

“Mari thought of a football show and signed a contract to buy P300,000 worth of air time on a TV channel,” said Tsai. “The show was called ‘Football Now’ and it aired only two or three episodes when the deal was for 32 episodes. Nobody watched the 30-minute show because it was so poorly produced. Then, there was a World Cup show to raise money for the PFF and instead of raising money, it lost money. The PFF sold about P500,000 worth of World Cup tickets and someone got a 10 percent commission. I don’t know where the commission went. There are stories about Mari getting reimbursed for foreign trips which were supposed to be sponsored. The audit ordered by the PFF Board is very revealing.”

Tsai, 60, said he doesn’t want to send Martinez to jail.

“All I want is to be paid back what the PFF owes me,” said Tsai. “I’m willing to forget about the P2 million Mari owes me. I’ve been a born-again Christian for nine years and I’m ready to forgive him. I won’t pursue my personal case against Mari if he resigns as PFF president. He owes that to football.”

The PFF is slated to convene a National Congress in Manila on Nov. 27 but a Board of Governors meeting must precede it to determine the order of business involving 32 provincial football associations.

“I pray for Mari to step down quietly,” said Tsai. “I wouldn’t have come out with my side if he didn’t attack me. He once bragged that he might lose his shirt but I’ll lose my pants. If he has something against me, let him show the proof. I have proof against him and if he wants to face me in court, I’m prepared. His lawyers are sending feelers for us to meet but what for? For his own sake, he should resign gracefully and avoid embarrassment. If he insists on holding on to the PFF presidency, I’m afraid he won’t be backed up by the Board anymore. He’s been offering all-expenses-paid trips to Qatar to gain the support of certain Board members and Congress representatives but nobody’s for sale.”

Tsai said Martinez should leave the PFF in the hands of competent managers. “I pity Mari,” said Tsai. “He’s suffered two heart attacks. He’s stressed out. I’m afraid something bad might happen to him because of all his problems. But I’m pissed off by what he’s doing to me. I entered the PFF only after he asked me to help. Now, he’s accusing me of stealing when I brought out my own money to help the PFF. The public has the right to know who’s telling the truth.”


philstar.com

3 comments:

  1. Well now, these claims certainly do not paint a pretty picture of Martinez. But, come to think of it, will anyone publicly defend Martinez (other than Martinez)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hay nako sana matanggal na talaga yang clown na martinez na yan. mas mabuti pa isa pang matinding heart attack. mamatay na sya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sayang, i only read this article now! I dont know martinez but you should have given him the benefit of the doubt considering this accuser is no other than the infamous HENRY L. TSAI OF THE SCAM RIDDEN SUREX. Try to look at the internet and you will find this name along with this cohort MARIVIC MATIAS. POOR MR. MARTINEZ

    ReplyDelete